If a million Americans wanted to take action to reform the food system, what would you tell them to do?

Get Monsanto out of business

Monsanto is a big part of the destruction of sane agriculture. By creating crops meant to be grown in monoculture fields, creating seeds that can't be harvested, and patenting genetics, Monsanto is almost single handedly destroying generations of knowledge and practice for sustainable agriculture.

262 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Elisabeth Robson shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Using herbicides and pesticides is the farming equivalent of carpet bombing in the military. My

suggestion is to stop carpet bombing and use a few snipers instead. To target what want to eliminate and

leave the rest untouched.
        http://www.gofundme.com/End-Herbicides

• Cat Stone commented  · 

Monsanto has turned farming into a hellish nightmare

• Bert Harvey commented  · 

I disagree, respectfully, with Jeremy. While it's true that showing an alternative business model would be great, Monsanto is *too* entrenched and has steadily tilted the board in their favor. Poly-cultural agriculture using sustainable, organic techniques has proven, repeatedly, to outperform conventional agriculture, but Monsanto and their people in the USDA and dept. of Ag continue to trumpet the necessity of GMOs, larger centralized processing systems, and higher hurdles for small-plot farmers to get to market.

Jeremy's theory would work if we really lived in a free-market society. But we don't, and the large corporations at the top have no intention of simply rolling over to a new agricultural paradigm.

• Jeremy Brosowsky commented  · 

I respectfully disagree. Monsanto is a business. It's directors have a fiduciary duty to maximize profits. Instead of trying to put Monsanto out of business, I think we should be more interested in proving out alternative business models that can be more profitable than the destructive ones Monsanto has chosen to pursue time and time again. Rest assured, if Monsanto could figure out how to make an extra nickel pursuing local, organic polyculture, they'd do that instead. And wouldn't that be terrific?

Unfortunately, Monsanto, like so many other entrenched giants in industry after industry, is so rooted in its existing business that it has little incentive to seek out alternatives. So that's our entrepreneurial challenge: innovate.

The good news is, there are lots of inspiring people on the case. And when they get it right, it'll only be a matter of time before Monsanto follows -- or gets run over as better ideas pass them by.

• techalchemy commented  · 

Although it is an admirable goal to try to get Monsanto, DuPont, and other large agribusiness companies "out of the picture," it makes more sense to try to reduce people's dependence on the use of their genetically engineered crops. Also, a practical means of reducing the power of gene patents, and thus use a legal and logical means of reducing their overall power.

Feedback and Knowledge Base